September 26, 2011

Issue 23

This one was very simple, yet it took a long time. This issue had very few steps, and each one was not difficult. However, the interval between each step took so long because I had to wait for glue to dry. That is the to secret this, and many other, issues. It takes so long because I must wait for the glue to dry.

That is also why I open the next issue and start that before I finish the current issue. When I make time to work on the armour I don't want to do 15 minutes of work and then spend hours waiting. While I wait for the parts from this issue to dry I will often work on a few parts from the next issue, until invariably I must also wait for that glue to dry too.

I suppose I could keep repeating this process. Every time I must wait, I open another issue and start on that. I would have five or six issues on the go at once, I certainly have enough backlog in my to-do pile. However, I have chosen not to do this for several reasons: I don't have enough room to work on the parts from six simultaneous issues, the parts in later issues often rely on the previous issues to be completed, and ultimately I just don't want to. Making this Samurai Armour is not a race. I'm still about ten issues behind, but I don't mind. I work on this project because it's fun and I do it to relax. The waiting is a part of the process.

So what about this issue? As I stated above, the work was quite easy. I had to make on anther set of plates, as I have done so many times before, and then attach a little silk pad to the left front quarter of the armour. This is a curious piece and I can't really work out what it's function is. I think it has something to do with the way the Samurai would carry his Katana, because this silk sheet covers the side where the Katana would also be kept. I assume it's there to stop the metal guard of the sword from rubbing against the armour. Perhaps this is done to prevent minor damage to both the armour and sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment