November 07, 2011

Issue 33

This was a complex issue, and one that required more unique different steps then I have seen in a long time.

First I had to assemble the wrist strap. This part is like several similar pieces I made when assembling the plates that are attached to the main body. The second step involved the most labour intensive action of the issue, attaching the blue lining to the inside edge of the sleeve. This required gluing the lining to the leather edge and following almost the entire perimeter with close hand stitching. Several times I used a little too much glue and attempting to push a needle though became quite difficult. At these points I used the craft plies to better hold and push the needle. It took a long time, longer then I was expecting, because I tend to be very precise with the stitching. Third I had to attach the leather section over the lining in the hand area. This was also done by gluing it in place first, then stitching.

For the third step, after the stitching was completed, I used some new and old tools. A new punch, included in this issue, and my old hammer to make a series of holes along the edges for a cord to bind the two together. When starting this project the series guide included a list of (...and as I would discover, it's only a partial list of...) the tools and equipment needed to complete the project. On that list was a hammer and I spent a lot of time carefully searching for just the right one. However, until now it's just been sitting next to my toolbox unused.  Also for this issue bought a very hard rubber plate to strike the punch into. I found this was quite helpful, as I did not damage my work surface, or the punch itself.

The fourth, and final, step of assembling this issue involved threading the cord in the newly punched holes. This often felt like it was just beyond my ability. It was not a complex process, but I still made several mistakes. I had to reverse and try again several times before I finally got it right. Compounding the problem was the end of the cord was just encased in masking tape and that had a tendency to come off as I was working. I had to re-attach a tape tip several times to complete the process.

Now that this entire sleeve is nearly finished I'm starting to get excited about the future. Despite all these difficulties I feel that I have learned a great deal about the assembling of sleeves and I'm excited to get another chance to apply what I have learned when I assemble the other sleeve. What new mistakes will I make? Only time will tell...

3 comments:

  1. Hey nice one man. I`ve been surfing around looking for homemade Samurai stuff and yours seems pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bit hasty leaving my other comment on the homemade thing. But still, good pictures and info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, sorry for the confusion.

    I suppose I should have called my blog "Assembling Samurai Armour" as I am not making the parts I am just assembling them from a kit.

    ReplyDelete