November 14, 2011

Issue 34

I assumed, when starting this issue, that things would proceed smoothly and simply. The only parts included were four very small pieces to make two opening joints and 105cm of leather cord. I don't think any previous issue has contained so few parts. Even issue 27, although it had almost no work, still included a handful of pieces. This issues was going to be the antithesis to that one.

It started rather tame, cutting the cord into 3 pairs of smaller segments. However, that would be the only easy part of this entire issue. Next, I did the finger and thumb loop attachments. This involved aligning the holes in the metal pates with the corresponding holes in the leather and silk layers, and then pushing the leather cord through each one three times. This process would be a reoccurring theme for the entire issue, forcing more and more leather cord through progressively smaller holes. Although was not impossible it was very exact, and if things were not done perfectly, they were not going to work at all. Had the designers of the armour increased the diameter of the holes by about 0.5mm I don't think any of the the visual or structural effects would be diminished, but it would have made the process so much easier by adding a tiny bit of much needed 'wiggle room'.

Eventually I completed the process. I am particularly pleased with how the knots on the back of the hand section turned out. Although I refer to them as knots, the cord is not actually tied. It is only twisted and held in place with glue. This issue also completes this piece of the armour, so now I have my second finished part. In the next issue I am returning to my classic armour building techniques. I'll be cutting and gluing silk string and then lacing together some tiny plates. Again...


No comments:

Post a Comment