February 19, 2012

Issue 39

This issue was not overtly complex, but it was rather time consuming. For this issue I had to assemble and attach the final two strips of armoured plates to the leg guard. As I've made several of these before it was a known process for me. After that I stitched along the edges of all the strips to prevent them from coming loose or flipping over.

When that was complete I glued the backing in place and then I glued the leather trim down along the edges. Once the glue had dried I began the longest step in this issue, the process of securing the trim it in place with close tiny stitching.

It occurred to me that with both the backing and trim already held in place with glue the added stitching is probably not a significant boost to the structural integrity of the part. This armour is destined to be placed on display and not actually worn, so the glue alone should be sufficient. Furthermore, considering the location of the stitching, it will likely not be visible in the final product. Thus further diminishing the necessity of spending so much time stitching the parts together.

After I had fully considered this, I did it anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment