April 06, 2012

Issue 54

This is the penultimate issue, and it was a big one. The work here was a mirror copy of issue 51; and, although I had done it all before, it was still a time consuming challenge. However, because of my experience with issue 51 I was able to make a few minor alterations to how I did the work this time.

First, I made sure to not secure all the parts together so tightly. They were not loose, but there was a little slack left in. This was important because when the shin guard is closed the parts tighten together a bit without being under high tension. I also knew how the plates should overlap and this helped to keep everything in the right place. Finally, when making the tip of the silk string, I used less glue and I cut the point a little longer then before. This allowed me to make a narrower and longer tip and that was easier to thread through the leather and silk sections.

The rest of the work was the same as before. I first attached the armoured plates to the silk and leather with string. Then I sealed and attached the straps. Next I glued the backing in place, and finally I stitched the whole thing together. There was one minor difference between this issue and issue 51, the texture of the leather section. They are both black leather, but they don't look the same. I'm not a leather expert so I can't say why this is, but I wonder if there is a technical explanation, or if that's normal when working with natural materials.

Next time will be the last issue. The Final issue. The whole project is almost over, but first I have a few loose ends to tie up...


No comments:

Post a Comment