September 06, 2011

Issue 0

OK. I realize some people reading this may have no idea what I am talking about "Making Samurai Armour?!?"

Let me fill you in. A magazine company, DeAGOSTINI, sells these hobby kit magazines.

Each week a new issue is released with a thin magazine, it's more like a chapter in a book, and a few parts of a much larger project. Each magazine is part of a series, and when the series is finished you have assembled something quite impressive.

Imagine you have subscribed to a 10,000 piece puzzle magazine. Each week you get an issue detailing the history of puzzles, famous puzzles, famous puzzle solvers, etc... and a small box with about 200 pieces of your huge puzzle. If you keep buying every issue of puzzle magazine then after 50 issues you will have all 10 000 pieces.

I am doing a similar project, but instead of making a puzzle I am assembling a 1/2 scale replica of Date Masamune's Samurai Armour.

It started back in late February when I was looking at the "Make Samurai Armour " issue one. I thought I looked quite cool, but was unsure if I really wanted to make it all. The total cost is quite high, and I was unsure if I had the skill to do it right.

However, I bought the first issue to check it out up close. It didn't look so difficult, and the parts were made of real metal! To me the justified the higher cost so I subscribed and got started.

There are 55 issues to complete this project. Currently I have 33. However, many of them are still in the box. As of today I have only assembled up to issue 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment