March 31, 2012

Issue 51

This was a very difficult issue to finish. I can't decide if it was the most, but it certainly ranks near the top, and in theory it should not have been so complicated.

I first had to attach the armoured section to the silk backing. This is similar to what I have done with both the sleeve and thigh parts. However, on those parts I was working with thread and 4mm silk string,  while this time I was using 5mm silk string. I know that may not seem like much of a difference but this string got twisted quite easily and I felt it was more difficult to work with. Also, I think I attached the armoured plates together a bit too tightly. When bending the parts into place the tension in the string was quite high. In retrospect I think adding a little slack to the line would have helped the process quite a bit.

Further complicating matters was a section of leather covering about a quarter of the backing. Making holes in this and then threading the silk string through was quite difficult. The tip of the silk string is just held together with glue and that would often come apart when working on this section. This would delay the process while I fixed it and waited for the glue to dry again.

Finally, once the armour had been attached, I secured the straps in place and then glued on the backing. Of course to finish the process I also stitched the entire backing in place. Now the left shin guard is complete. In the next few issues I will begin to work on the right shin guard. I don't imagine it will be much easier, but at least I'll know what to expect.


No comments:

Post a Comment